All performance group members are regularly called upon to represent the school. Therefore, members need to be individuals whose behavior and demeanor exemplify the philosophy of the school. The requirements of performance groups vary depending upon the nature of the group. The requirements are dictated by the time commitment, level of responsibility, and leadership role involved. As very active and visible leaders in the school community, Pep Squad members have more stringent eligibility requirements than other performance groups. However, all performance groups have academic, attendance and citizenship standards, which must be maintained in order to try out and participate.
Performance Group Eligibility
Section 1: Academic Eligibility
1. Students must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA for the three semesters which precede tryouts in order to try out for a Pep Squad and must maintain a 2.3 GPA while a member of the squad. Under special circumstances, candidates with a GPA of 2.0-2.5 may be given permission to try out at the discretion of the Pep Squad Advisor. However, such candidates, if selected, will be probationary and must achieve a 2.5 GPA for the semester in which tryouts are held in order to be accepted as a member.
2. Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA to try out for any other performance group and must maintain the 2.0 GPA in order to participate.
3. A Pep Squad member who earns below a 2.3 GPA may request a term of probation for one grading period. Granting such a request is not automatic and is generally offered only once. Members will be declared ineligible if they do not receive the minimum grade requirement at the next grading period.
4. A member of any other performance group (other than Pep Squad) who earns below a 2.0 GPA may be granted a term of probation for one grading period. Members will be declared ineligible if they do not receive the minimum grade requirement at the next grading period.
Section 2: Other Eligibility Requirements
1. In order to try out for any performance group, a student must be eligible for financial clearance by satisfying all financial obligations to the school during the semester in which the tryouts are held.
2. Students must have satisfactory attendance records with regard to absences and tardiness in order to try out for a Pep Squad.
3. Students must have satisfactory discipline records to try out for a Pep Squad. Any student who was placed on disciplinary probation during the tryout year is ineligible to try out for a Pep Squad. Any student who received more than one “N” (behavior/citizenship needs improvement) or a single “U” (unsatisfactory behavior/citizenship) as a citizenship comment on the report card which precedes tryouts is not eligible to try out for a Pep Squad.
4. Members of Pep Squads must maintain their satisfactory attendance and discipline status in order to remain on the squad. A squad member who commits a violation, which is liable to probation or withdrawal, according to the Disciplinary Actions listed in this handbook, may be required to relinquish the position. A squad member who receives multiple “N” comments, or a “U” comment, on the report card, will be placed on probation for one grading period. The squad member will be declared behaviorally ineligible if multiple “N” comments, or a “U” comment, are still present after the probationary period.
5. A member of any performance group who receives multiple “N” comments, or a “U” comment, on a report card, will be placed on probation for one grading period. The member will be declared behaviorally ineligible if the multiple “N” comments, or the “U” comment, are still present after the probationary period.
6. A performance group member must be in school for a minimum of a half-day to participate in an afternoon or evening activity.